The small estate affidavit form can be used when your loved one died without a will. If the estate qualifies, you will be able to go through a relatively simple probate process. The estate must meet certain requirements, including that its value is below a specified amount. We can help you determine if your loved one’s estate is eligible for this simplified process and guide you through the process of filing the affidavit.

If you need compassionate, experienced, knowledgeable legal assistance with any probate matter in Fort Worth, Texas, or throughout North Texas, we are here to help. Contact the Fetty Firm, P.C. for the assistance you need.

What is a small estate affidavit?

A small estate affidavit is a simpler alternative to a full-blown probate process designed to allow smaller estates where the decedent passed away without a will but left behind few assets. There may be a home and a small checking and savings account(s), but not much else.

A small estate affidavit is permissible when:

  • The appraised value of the estate is less than $75,000 (homestead value or other exempt property isn’t counted)
  • The deceased person passed away without a will and it has been at least 30 days since the date of death
  • No one has applied to become executor or administrator of the estate
  • Total assets exceed total debts (not including homestead or exempt property or any debts secured by homestead or exempt property).

The Fetty Firm, P.C. can help you with small estate affidavits

Small estate affidavits have a few requirements, such as reporting all assets and known liabilities, supplying beneficiary information, and providing family history information that identifies the heirs.

Our law office can advise you on:

  • When a small estate affidavit Is appropriate
  • Qualifying and disqualifying conditions
  • A complete explanation of the small estate affidavits process
  • Filling out the right forms and the right filing process.

If you are a North Texas resident that is needing just a little bit of assistance with your probate case, Rashelle Fetty and the Fetty Firm are here to help. Click here to contact us.